The sights of Vysoký Chlumec include the local castle, the estate’s former administration building at no. 14, the statue of St John of Nepomuk at no. 1, the calvery, the folk museum – The Museum of Rural Buildings of the Central Vltava Region – and in close proximity also the fort and belltower in nearby Pořešice, the watermill site in nearby Bláhová Lhota and the gamekeeper’s house at the place known as St Mark’s Desert.
The monumental castle, visible from far and wide, stands on a steep hill at an elevation of 532 metres above sea-level, and is an inherent landmark of the countryside south of Sedlčany. The municipality of Vysoký Chlumec, and the settlements of Víska, Vápenice, Hrabří, Hradce, Jezvina, Bláhova Lhota and Pořešice, which are part of Vysoký Chlumec, are linked historically with this castle, which is not, however, accessible.
Just under a kilometre from Bratřejov, on right side of the road from Vysoký Chlumec to Petrovice, is Hus’s pulpit. Legends say that it was here that Jan Hus preached. It is the largest Czech rocking stone, over two metres high and more than four metres long. It is a fine example of the weathering of granite in the Sedlčany region. There is a deep bowl on the boulder, eighty by sixty centimetres in size, which is locally known as the ‘sacrificial bowl’. The stone was discovered in 1875 by Lobkowicz building adviser, Jan Pudil, and despite all his attempts, he could not find a legend which would confirm his theory that the place served in pagan times for sacrificial purposes. The site, with an area of 9.07 hectares, is a protected nature reserve, declared in 1977. A nature trail called Petrovicko (Petrovice region) and two hiking trails go around the rocking stone.
Northwest of the village of Příčovy, in the Chlumky, or also U Větráku, region is a huge ruined Dutch-style windmill. Its walls are ten metres high, over a metre thick, and the mill’s external diameter is thirteen and a half metres. On the northeast side, the wall has collapsed. The mill is made from quarried granite, and lined with clay bricks. The building’s unusual size has led to speculation that originally it was not a windmill, but nevertheless archaeological surveys have confirmed it as a mill. The first records of it data to 1617, and it was demolished in the second half of the 18th century. According to legend, a certain farmworker designed a small mill at his farmhouse driven by ox during a drought when the millers had no water. Although he only ground ‘black’ flour free of charge to banish hunger, he was brought to Chlumec and charged with milling, disrespecting the honour of the guild of millers. He gave a strong defence at his hearing and blamed the lords because the powers that be had let the windmill fall into ruin.
Another reason for visiting the town of Vysoký Chlumec is the beauty of the surrounding countryside, and last but not least the local people, who appreciate the heritage of their ancestors.