Kutná Hora

Kutná Hora

The town of Kutná Hora (21, 300 inhabitants) lies between the Czech-Moravian Highlands and the Čáslav basin some 70 km east of Prague. The history of Kutná Hora is inextricably linked to silver mining. The discovery of silver deposits resulted, in the late 13th century, in a spontaneous development of mining settlements from which a town was formed in the early 1300s.

In 1300 King Wenceslas II implemented a financial reform, part of which was the establishment of a central national mint in Kutná Hora where the so-called Prague “grosh” were coined as one of the strongest currencies at the time in Europe. The royal mining town soon became one of the leading producers of silver in Europe. Today, Kutná Hora is a town of historic monuments with high cultural standards. In 1995 it was included on the UNESCO list of world cultural and natural heritage sites.

The most important monuments in the town include: the Late Gothic St. Barbara’s Cathedral built from the late 14th century until the early 20th century, the High Gothic Chapel of Corpus Christi just next to the cathedral, 14th century Gothic St. Jacob’s Church, the Late Gothic burgher Stone House from the late 15th century, the Italian Court (originally a fortress which the ruler had transformed into a mint after 1300 and also into his own town residence), the Gothic Hrádek Palace, the Baroque Jesuit College from the 17th century, and the Church of St. Johan of Nepomuk dating from the 18th century. Moreover, visitors can admire dozens of historic burgher houses. A part of Kutná Hora is Sedlec where, in 1142, the first Cistercian monastery in Bohemia was founded and the Church of the Assumption of Mary was. Its present appearance in the spirit of Baroque Gothic was impressed upon it by the original architect Jan Blažej Santini-Aichel. The cemetery Chapel of All Saints, with an ossuary which is currently one of the most sought-after tourist destinations in the country, was also part of the monastery.

A number of prominent Czech personalities were born or lived in Kutná Hora, for example nobleman and writer Mikuláš Dačický of Heslov (1555–1626), playwright Josef Kajetán Tyl (1808–1856), poet and writer Karel Havlíček Borovský (1821–1856), painter Felix Jenewein (1857–1905) and poet Jiří Orten (1919–1941).

Near the town are the ruins of Sion Castle, the imposing Kačina Chateau in Empire style, the romantic Žleby Chateau and the game park in Žehušice where white deer are reared. The beautiful countryside around Kutná Hora is interwoven by a dense network of well-marked cycling paths enticing pleasant trips.

Adresa

Informační centrum Kutná Hora Sankturinovský dům,
Palackého náměstí 377
Kutná Hora 28401
tel.:
+420 327 512 378
e-mail: http://infocentrum@kh.cz
WWW:
http://www.kutnahora.cz

Loading Facebook Comments ...